Friday, January 8, 2010

JA City

I got a fun chance before Christmas break to go up with McKay's class to Salt Lake. Through out Elementary they have had this course called Junior Achievement. They get to learn about lots of everyday life things. How things run and work when they get older. When they are in 5th grade they can go to SLC to the Children's Museum where they have a whole city set up. The kids each get a job where they get paid. Then with there check they can deposit them and write checks to the different business to buy things. They had worked for weeks before to learn about there jobs and how to work a bank account and how to write checks. They even had a Governor over the city. The kids were way excited to go and have a whole day up there. I was so glad I got to go, I was just a little bummed that I did not get to work were McKay worked but I still got to hang out with him at lunch. I got some fun pictures of the kids in our ward and of McKay's friends. If your school does not do this program I highly recommend it. The kids learn a lot over the years and what a fun thing to look forward to when you are in 5th grade. I am glad that my son still likes me to come and help out with things at school it makes me feel like I am not to old & that he still likes me.

The kids taking an oath to be good citizens:)


McKay was a construction worker. He made shelves and sold them to the different business's around town.


This is McKay's class at the end of the day!

3 comments:

Esther said...

That's an awesome idea! It sounds like every school should have that.

Ashley said...

That's awesome! Do all Alpine School District schools do that?

Jody and Dave Lindsay said...

So cool, especially that you got to go! Loved this post about McKay-ster!